Friday, May 22, 2009

The Joy of the Journey


Most of the world we live in (at least here in America) is in a hurry to get somewhere. To that extent, many of my friends have difficulty understanding why I use my GPS system(s) not to find the fastest way to get somewhere, but to find the most interesting way to get somewhere. In the car, I use a Magellan Crossover, which has the marvelous ability to "recalculate" my route when I am lured into making an unprogrammed turn.

I try, from time to time, to address (either in writing or in conversation) the joy of the journey. Sometimes, I stumble across someone who has expressed it quite well themselves. Here's one:

What geocaching means to me.

Geocaching to me is much more than just going somewhere and finding something that somebody else has hidden. Sure, that's the nuts and bolts of it, but to me it involves so much more than that. I love seeing nature's artwork, rocky landscapes, leaves covering a trail, a quiet stream meandering nowhere in particular.

I geocache because I want to experience these things as much as finding the cache itself. Many times I do not find what I set out for, but in the end I always come away seeing and experiencing a new place that I had not been to before.

I enjoy the feeling of finding something that most people do not even know is there. I enjoy the excitement of feeling as if I am involved with a hidden culture that exists outside of conventional society.

source

Is where you are going today more important than how you get there? Are you so blinded by the destination that you can't see the beauty, the marvel, the people along the way? Travel is fun. Geocaching is fun. But getting there is more than half the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment